Monday, June 16, 2008

Cats, Dogs, and Monks

Anyone who knows me knows that I'm mildly obsessed with Buddhist monks. The discipline and intention for enlightenment inspires and motivates me, especially the extreme cave dwelling types. My interest/obsession is born out of the fact that growing up in the west I was led to believe that material possessions and status would lead to contentment and inner happiness. What I have come to believe is that those things lead to an unending craving for more and the desperate need to hold onto that status. I have met many young monks on my travels who own nothing but their sandals and robes, sleep on straw mats, and rely on the communities generosity for their one meal a day. It's such a hard life yet they are incredibly happy and good humored. Much happier than many wealthy people i have met in the western world. I found these images recently that make me smile every time I look at them.

.

No comments: